Monday, January 21, 2008

It Is Well With My Soul

I am going in for surgery tomorrow to drain the oil out of my right eye, and have a previous repair reinforced. The doctor will then fill my eye with gas to keep the reinforcement in place.

I am also having the left eye looked at while under (while he has the hood up, he is going to check the whole engine).

Anyway, in keeping with the theme of worship and music, I thought I would post a brief thought on one of my favorite hymns; a hymn that has been of great comfort to me over the years.

Anyone who reads this blog with any degree of regularity (I know you're out there), will be familiar with this story, but it was brought to my mind again as I prepared for tomorrow's surgery.

In the 1870s Horatio Spafford was a successful Chicago lawyer and a close friend of evangelist Dwight L. Moody. Spafford had invested heavily in real estate, but the Chicago fire of 1871 wiped out his holdings. His son had died shortly before the disaster.

Spafford and his family desperately needed a rest so in 1873 he planned a trip to Europe with his wife and four daughters. While in Great Britain he also hoped to help Moody and Sankey with their evangelistic tour. Last minute business caused Spafford to delay his departure, but he sent his wife and four daughters on the S. S. Ville Du Havre as scheduled, promising to follow in a few days. On November 22 the ship was struck by the English ship Lochearn, and it sank in twelve minutes. Several days later the survivors landed at Cardiff, Wales, and Mrs. Spafford cabled her husband the brief message, "Saved alone."

When Horatio Spafford made the ocean crossing to meet his grieving wife, he sailed near the place where his four daughters had sunk to the ocean depths. There, in the midst of his sorrow, he wrote these unforgettable words that have brought solace to so many in grief:



When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


There is nothing more I can add to that. When I realize that Christ has regarded my helpless estate and paid for me with His own blood, it truly is well with my soul!

No comments: