Monday, November 28, 2005

Songs Part II

I will post a final entry regarding songs. As Bob Kauflin stated in his comment; there are some signs of life in modern music. Not all hymns have to be written prior to electricity and gasoline-powered automobiles!

One particular hymnwriter that I enjoy is Keith Getty, both solo and in his collaboration with Stuart Townend (I apologize to Stuart, I have referred to his last name as Townsend on several posts!), he has written some of the most theologically-rich songs in recent memory.

Here are the lyrics to See What A Morning.

See what a morning gloriously bright
With the dawning of hope in Jerusalem
Folded the grave clothes tomb filled with light
As the angels announce Christ is risen
See God's salvation plan
Wrought in love borne in pain paid in sacrifice
Fulfilled in Christ the man
For He lives - Christ is risen from the dead

See Mary weeping "Where is He laid?"
As in sorrow she turns from the empty tomb
Hears a voice speaking calling her name
It's the Master the Lord raised to life again
This voice that spans the years
Speaking life stirring hope bringing peace to us
Will sound till He appears
For He lives! Christ is risen from the dead

One with the Father ancient of days
Through the Spirit who clothes faith with certainty
Honour and blessing glory and praise
To the King crowned with power and authority
And we are raised with Him
Death is dead love has won Christ has conquered
And we shall reign with Him
For He lives Christ is risen from the dead

Keith Getty & Stuart Townend
Copyright © 2003 Thankyou Music/MCPS

And one more for your enjoyment, from Stuart Townend, called 'How Deep The Father's Love For Us"

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom


There are many more young hymnwriters that are out there, and I may one day post about them, but suffice it to say that there is a light at the end of the worship tunnel. Some are growing weary of theologically and lyrically vacuous songs and are writing songs worthy of singing to our Lord and Savior!

2 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

I agree that 'See what a morning' has good words, but I cannot say I like the tune. Maybe I complain too much.

God Bless

Bob Hayton said...

Another great song by Townend and Getty is In Christ Alone.