Monday, December 05, 2005

Humility?

I have recently picked up C.J. Mahaney's two books -- 'The Cross-Centered Life' and 'Humility: True Greatness'. Great reads.

I think what I enjoy about Mahaney is that he is truly a pastor at heart, and is very approachable in his writings. My wife and I both read through Cross-Centered Life in one sitting.

Humility is a tough one, and although I am reading through it at a good clip; I am going back and re-reading much of it. I am ashamed to admit how little humility I truly have! I have been praying about this aspect of my life, and the Lord answered right away, pointing out several places where I have PLENTY to be humble about in my ministry!

I know that Monday mornings are a dangerous time for pastors to blog as that can often be a time of critical self-evaluation regarding the previous Sunday service(s), however I would say that that is not the case here. I simply took a serious look at my life and ministry and found that it is lacking proper humility in so many areas; my relationship with my wife, my dealing with others, my attitude about aspects of the ministry. All of these need to be re-evaluated in the light of a proper spirit of humility.

Here is a quote from C.J. Mahaney's book that really struck me -- "Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon Him"

OWWWW!

Then I turn on Alistair Begg's message this AM, and what is he talking about? Down in the Valley - B is discussing how we get through tough times, and provides a HEALTHY dose of humility during times of self-pity which is nothing more than pride...

And Pyromaniac's Monday morning Spurgeon put the icing on my humility cake, which I am dutifully now eating!

How DARE I be proud when my Savior's example to me was antithetical to that!

THANKS PHIL! :-)

No comments: