Wednesday, December 07, 2005

New Handbook!

Blogger is KILLING ME! It is so slow that I almost called it a night before even getting to this stage... OK, well enough of my whining...

I received a new Bible handbook in the mail this week -- 'Ryken's Bible Handbook' - Authors Leland Ryken, Philip Ryken and James Wilhoit. Now, I have plenty of Bible handbooks, and have used them for years, but I may get rid of the rest and simply use this one,(probably not all of them as I have a few others I like as well). :-)

I have several of Leland Ryken's books already -- 'Dictionary of Biblical Imagery' and 'The Word of God in English', and 'City on a Hill', and 'Give Praise to God' from Philip Ryken, so I had high expectations for this handbook.

It did not disappoint -- this is not like a usual handbook which provides some history and a brief synopsis of the book under study. This handbook actually teaches a good deal ABOUT the Bible. Part One 'The Bible as a Book' is very nice and provides some memorable quotes from people such as C.S. Lewis and J. Gresham Machen. It also makes the claim that the handbook gives teachers a great outline to work from, and while I have not yet tried that, it is chock full of good, solid, information!

There is a one year reading program in the back of the book, and several nice, color maps to round out the book. While this handbook doesn't have all of the nice pictures that some of my other handbooks have, it has much more actual information, and I would highly recommend it to both teachers and lay students of the Bible.

2 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

Have you got Halley's Handbook?

Ray said...

Yep -- Holman and Halley's...